Friday, November 27, 2009

An online mag devoted to vintage?

Yes, it does exist. The Fashion Birdcage is an online zine dedicated to art and fashion and the latest edition is completely devoted to vintage clothing. Check it out for an eye full of vintage clothing from a variety of eras and vintage retailers from far and wide. Louise Sleigh, of Catwalk Creative Vintage interviews fellow vintage seller Amy Mayberry from Viva Vintage Clothing, and here is my favourite quote:

"even with vintage, trends may come and go, but a great cotton or classic cocktail dress, or a garment with unique construction or fun detailing is always going to catch my eye, so that's a lot of what I sell."

Amy's words echo my own feelings about buying vintage. I love being able to choose from a huge variety of different styles, colours and prints, rather than what the narrowly defined current look is in the boutiques and department stores. Plus I know that there are certain styles that always suit me, regardless of whether or not they are currently in vogue.

Louise rounds out the issue with an article entitled Learning to be a Vintage Clothing Connoisseur that contains lots of tips on how to shop for vintage (including how to stay on the good side of vintage sellers). Check it out.

2 comments:

Catwalk Creative Vintage said...

Thank you for posting about this Louise. Big vintage hugs to you. :)

Isabella said...

Gene Tierney, oh my goodness what a face!