Monday, July 12, 2010

Valentino Retrospective


My invite to the Valentino Retrospective Past/Present/Future - opening August 7 at the Queensland Gallery of Modern Art -arrived in the mail today. Lucky for me I'll be visiting Brisbane twice in August and fingers and toes crossed that I'll be able to find a spare hour somewhere to gaze at some of the worlds most beautiful and expertly constructed frocks. Here are a couple of samples from the collection:

Haute Couture Spring/Summer 1960 and 1959 respectively.

Spring/Summer 2003

You will note that I wore my orange nail polish today in support of the Netherlands only to be saddened and frustrated by their loss. My cousins in Holland tell me that the whole country is in mourning, but my sadness was somewhat dampened by the arrival of my brand new Kindle - along with this lovely invite - in the post today.
Swings and roundabouts, hey?

5 comments:

Huzzah! Vintage said...

how does one get one's hands on such an invite...?! (not that I'll be anywhere near Oz, of course.)

what are they wearing now said...

This is a real coup for Brisbane. As a long time Valentino I fan can't wait for the exhibition. Lucky you.

Anastasia Schembri said...

Oh, what a lucky girl you are!! I would just die to have that opportunity, Valentino is one of my absolute favourites!
Hope you are having a great week!

tonypark said...

What major fashion events do you have planned for our little tour around Australia, I wonder!

Louise said...

Ha ha. I'll have to start looking into it Tony. Although I don't think the exhibit is going to be open yet while we are up there, otherwise I'd definitely ask you along.
Oh, and I think I saw the Top Model girls posing in the windows of Supre in town today.
Will post this on your blog too!