Sunday, February 27, 2011

Imagining The Oscars

Only one more sleep until the Academy Awards! And what better way to while away a lazy Sunday afternoon when I'm not feeling well than to fantasise about what I would wear if the world went all topsy turvy and I got my own invite to the red-carpet event of the year.
Cate Blanchett is presenting this year Anne Hathaway is hosting and Nicole Kidman, Michelle Williams and Natalie Portman are all nominated for Best Actress, so I've got my fingers crossed for plenty of glamour. I'm sure Dior, Elie Saab and Versace will put in plenty of appearances, but some 1960s shocking pink Oscar de la Renta like the dress above, would make me very happy too.

Over at 1st dibs Stephanie LaCava has selected vintage frocks, jewellery and accessories for the five Best Actress nominees. It is a fun little fantasy, so to continue the trend, here are a few other gowns on the site.

The latest offerings over at Kerry Taylor Auctions includes some mid-century Givenchy, Lanvin-Castillo and Balenciaga. Pretty hard to go wrong with any of these methinks.
And The Frock still has one of the best selections of vintage designer duds I've seen on the web. With my invite in hand I could be pretty in pink in 70s Balenciaga, confounding the fashion critics in Norman Norell, making a nod to one of the grand dames of couture in Madame Gres, rocking classic Hollywood chic in Jacques Fath or swathed in pastels courtesy of Hattie Carnegie. Decisions, decisions, decisions.


Meanwhile I'm looking forward to hosting my regular Oscars party at my place tomorrow night where, thanks to TIVO, we can fast forward through the boring bits. Its fun to banter over outfits and winners and losers and favourite films of the year with some of my dearest friends. So far it looks like we are all tipping The King's Speech to be the big winner.

No comments: