Thursday, January 27, 2011

Inspired Haute Couture


I know I gush over the Dior Haute Couture collections every season, but Galliano's workmanship and drama get me every time. For this latest Spring collection Galliano mined Christian Dior's back-catalogue again, taking inspiration from the 40s and 50s illustrations of Dior's work by master illustrator Rene Gruau. Gruau, who worked for all the top magazines of the day, is so revered that some of his work even hangs in the Louvre. Style.Com says 'the graphite smears, pencil strokes and scribbles, erasure marks, and gouache washes of Gruau's illustrations were duplicated in cloth and embroidery.'
The results are spectacular.

The second last dress is my favourite. I would love to see this on the Oscars red-carpet, but I think it is unlikely. Actresses love to play it safe these days.

3 comments:

Atelier John F. Clément said...

Hi,

I´m a follower and share your admiration. It is a truly beautiful and inspirational collection. Galliano have done again...What more to say ;o)

Leah said...

Wow, it looks like Suzy Parker could slip in the mix... so lovely!

Louise said...

Thanks for reading and following John and well spotted Leah. The models do indeed look like Suzy Parker.