Sunday, February 5, 2012

Family Photo

My mother found this fascinating photograph amongst my grandmother's things the other day (my grandmother - always called nanny by my brother and I - sadly passed away three weeks ago). The photograph is actually a mock wedding snapshot, an exercise to show off what my nanny and others had created in sewing school. My nanny is the 'bridesmaid' on the right and the photo was taken when she was about 15 years old, so probably in 1940. Aren't the dresses spectacular? My nanny went on to design and sew her own wedding dress six years later, as well as all her bridesmaids gowns. She was a prodigious seamstress; I have one skirt in my wardrobe that she made for my mother in the 1980s that I always get compliments on when I wear it.
My nanny was always impeccably dressed and had a real love for fashion. It's a passion that has definitely been inherited.

No comments: