Saturday, February 21, 2009

Dress of the Week


New York Fashion Week has just finished up, and one of the big stories of the week was a parade to celebrate 50 years of Barbie with models styled like barbie dolls strolling down the red-carpet in gowns from a number of different current designers.

I've always been a big Barbie fan. Much to my boyfriends annoyance I insist on having my beautiful limited edition Barbie - wearing baby blue satin with black velvet trim - displayed in our bedroom. I realise this is super creepy, and I'm too tired now to particularly argue my case, so instead I present you with one of the delightful gowns Barbie wore this week.

I would love to see this gown in a colour other than black, but the structure is superb.

The whole parade is one awesome Barbie inspired outfit after another. You can check the rest out here (http://www.vogue.co.uk/celebrity-photos/gallery.aspx/id,517?Page=2). One of my favourite games as a young girl was having one of my Barbies run a clothing store, and I'd have the other Barbies come in and try clothes on, buy etc. What I wouldn't have given to have some of these outfits!

Also on Vogue UK online at the moment http://www.vogue.co.uk/celebrity-photos/gallery.aspx/id,526) there is a photo gallery of some of the most memorable Oscars dresses ever. There are some fabulous ones there. 'My girlfriend' Cate Blanchett in Dior in 1997 (I was at a party with Cate Blanchett last night, but more on that later ...), Elizabeth Taylor winning for Butterfield 8 in Dior couture in the 60's, Renee Zellweger in vintage Jean Desses, Audrey in Givenchy and much much more. I wonder who is going to wow this year. Only two more sleeps to go until Oscar mayhem. Hurrah!

No comments: