Saturday, January 16, 2010

Make-up so I won't break down

My bridesmaid Rebecca has talked me into hiring a professional make-up artist for my wedding. Today was the trial. Initially I wanted to do my own make-up, mainly as a cost saving measure but partly because of my fear of bronzing powder and lip liner. But Rebecca quite rightly pointed out that neither of us are beauty buffs and that the small cost of hiring Sheree will be worth the reduced stress levels on the day.
My wedding is 1950s themed and for my face I've been thinking of something with a 1950s/60s flavour but with a fresh and modern twist. I most definitely don't want to look overly made up or orange in any way (believe me, my summer tan is dangerously au naturel).

The cover-girl of the Jan/Feb issue of the always delightful Frankie magazine is my inspiration, and below is Sheree's handiwork. Ideally I want a lip that is a little less bright pink and a little more apricot pink than the cover girl, as Rebecca's dress is a light apricot pink. On me Sheree went with a nude gloss, but I'm not completely sold on it. Now that I'm in my 30s, I've been letting go of my gloss obsession in favour of lipstick, so I'm feeling like Rebecca and I might need to make a visit to the David Jones make-up counter soon.

But aside from the lips, what does everyone think of the eyes? The boy approves - shock, horror - and thus far no stray liquid liner has blinded me. I figure being able to see is pretty crucial for a long night of dancing.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stunning!

The Glamorous Housewife said...

Stunning. But agree with your lipgloss assessment. It might look better in your photos to wear lipstick. Wow, you look so fresh and beautiful! Cant wait to see pictures of the big day.

Thanks doll,
The Glamorous Housewife

Kristin said...

ohhh your makeup looks SO gorgeous! It is the absolute perfect amount! I was the same way with my wedding....hesitant to hire someone for fear that I would end up looking like a clown! It all worked out. :)

When is your wedding?

Wild Tea Party said...

Your eyes look great, talk about fantastic lashes! It really makes them stand out. I agree however that a bit of lipstick wouldn't go astray, just to add a dash of colour to your face.