Saturday, September 12, 2009

Frock of the Week


This week has seen the beginning of the Toronto International Film Festival + New York Fashion Week so the inter webs have been all aflutter with many a designer gown.

My pick for this week is Amanda Seyfried's Valentino Couture gown, which she wore to the premiere of her new film Jennifer's Body. I realise that it looks like her bra is poking out from the front of her dress, but as Red Carpet Fashion Awards pointed out, the peek-a-boo lingerie is actually an element of the design (see runway version).
The deceptively simple form of this dress really appeals to me. The skirt is stiff, while giving the illusion of movement, and the texture of the fabric adds glamour. Amanda looks very pretty indeed.

Julianne Moore also looks very pretty indeed in this plunging jade goddess gown by Tom Ford. Julianne is such a timeless beauty and I seriously love her as an actress.

Julianne wore this gown for the premiere of Tom Ford's directorial debut A Single Man which, lo and behold, is not about fashion at all, although apparently he brings a designers aesthetic to the look and feel of the movie. I can't wait to see it, not least because the whole cast looks very, very attractive. Did he cast it as though he was picking models for a runway show?

I couldn't resist posting this photo of Julianne and the other members of the cast, including the scrumptious Colin Firth. If I was in Julianne's position, I'd be smiling from ear to ear too!

No comments: