Sunday, April 18, 2010

Welcome to the Fair

The bi-annual Love Vintage Fair was on this weekend. It hardly feels like six months since the last one and even though I am on a very tight budget post-wedding, I figured I could hardly not go.
Even just to window shop (as though that was ever likely to happen).
I basked in the friendly atmosphere and marveled at the many wonderfully turned out ladies (plus a few gentlemen too). It seems every year the Fair becomes more popular, as people of all ages discover the globe friendly and thoroughly addictive world of vintage.
Charlotte Smith, author of Dreaming of Dior (check out her blog here), gave a fab talk which included a parade of some of the frocks from her Darnell Collection. There was also an exhibit of stunning Lilli Ann suits & coats from the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s which I couldn't help but reach out and touch. Adolph Schumann, the label's creator, was well known for his use of high quality fabrics, particularly from France. Feeling the divine wools on these pieces I could understand why they have stood the test of the time. They seem like brand new, only the kind of brand new that would cost thousands of dollars now.
Most of them were from 20th Century Froxx in the Manly Antiques Centre.

I fell in love with this dress; the fine printed silk and the sash had me in paroxysms of delight. Because I already have a wardrobe full of dressy frocks, I resisted trying it on, and took a photo for posterity instead. And yes, I am wearing plaid again, but this time it is daytime plaid, courtesy of the 70s.

Some gorgeous former stage costumes that Garden Street Bazaar sourced from London.

A pretty, pastel prom dress from Emma Domb.

And lucky for me (and the Fair), my Mum is down in Sydney for six weeks, and it was great to be able to spend the whole day with her ferreting out our little pieces of gold. Here Mum is trying on some hats, but she found a winter skirt and some gorgeous beads to take home. I ended up buying two skirts and a frock, with more details to come on those soonish.

4 comments:

BaronessVonVintage said...

looks like a wonderful fair! Your outfit was so perfect...slightly casual but so ladylike as well!

Wild Tea Party said...

It was a great fair, wasn't it? I went along on Sunday with a fellow blogger, and I found some gems too. I would wish it to be on more frequently, but I'd go broke!

I loved the dress you were standing beside too *sigh* I had a little drool over it...

As a side note, I think I actually spotted you on Wednesday night in the city.... Otherwise you've got a twin...

Louise said...

You could well have spotted me. I work on Market Street, dangerously close to all the shops.
I agree re. the Fair. It is probably best that it is served in small doses. I find it quite overwhelming. A bit like shopping in Paris or Tokyo.

Tebonin said...

I love that blue flowers silk dress as well. Just so classic and pretty. That kind of dress never feel it out of style